At Mid-Yellowstone Electric Cooperative, we are committed to working safely and effectively to protect members and employees.  We strive to bring you the power of safety through education and community outreach, with safety tools, resources and programs.  

When it comes to electricity inside and outside of your home, safety should always be your number one priority.  

Storm Clouds

Never touch someone who has been electrocuted and is in contact with a power line.  Call 911 immediately!  Don't attempt to move the power line. 

  • To report an outage, downed power lines or trees on lines, call MYEC at 406-342-5521.

  • For general safety questions or concerns contact MYEC.

Generator Safety

  • If you see downed or damaged power lines, stay back and call MYEC immediately at 406-342-5521.

  • Limit the use of your freezer and refrigerator during extended storm outages. Food will remain frozen for up to 48 hours if the doors remain closed and the unit is in good working condition.

  • When possible, avoid using candles for lighting. Candles pose fire hazards within the home.

  • Contact MYEC as soon as possible when your power goes out, no matter how many homes in your area appear to be affected by the outage.

  • Appliances and electronics are extremely sensitive to electrical spikes from lightning or other faults. Before electrical storms, disconnect these items from the electrical source.

  • Keep a “storm kit” at home and in your car with extra flashlights, fresh batteries, bottled water and canned food.

  • Improperly installed emergency power generators can expose your family to carbon monoxide poisoning and our crews to severe injury or death. For more information, contact MYEC at 406-342-5521.

  • Follow manufacturer instructions for generator inspections and maintenance.


  • Choose flame-resistant or flame-retardant holiday decorations.

  • Keep lit candles away from decorations.

  • Use lights as directed that have an independent testing laboratory label. Some are only for indoor or outdoor use – not both.

  • Replace any light strings with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.

  • Connect no more than three strands of mini light sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs.

  • Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.

  • Do not leave lights up year round.


  • Keep an eye on the range. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the U.S.

  • Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children (preferably in a locked cabinet).

  • Have a fire extinguisher nearby and know how to operate it.


  • Before lighting a fire, remove all greens, boughs, papers and other decorations from fireplace area and check to see that the flue is open.

  • Never burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. It can start flash fires.

  • Place a screen around your fireplace to prevent sparks from igniting anything nearby.


  • Around the Fourth of July holiday, 230 people on average go to the emergency room each day with fireworks related injuries. Do not allow children to play with fireworks.

  • Even so called "harmless" fireworks can pose injuries. Sparklers can burn at 2,000 degrees and often cause injuries.

  • If fireworks do not ignite, never try to re-light them.

Sources: National Fire Protection Association, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Power theft is an international problem and public safety issue with real consequences. Billions of dollars are stolen from utilities annually, and unfortunately, these losses must be passed along to members. But it’s not just about money. Power theft poses shock and fire hazards to the perpetrators and to often-innocent family, friends and neighbors. These conditions can lead to property damage, personal injury, and even death.

Call MYEC at (406) 342-5521 to report any situation you believe may involve power theft.

Tree planting


  • Know what’s below by calling 811 before you dig, so you don’t make contact with underground lines or transformers. Contact with lines can mean shock, injury or death.

  • Look above for power lines and be mindful when using ladders, pool skimmers and other tall objects.

  • Stay at least 10 feet from power lines connected to or near your home.

  • Never trim trees or bushes near power lines. MYEC can safely handle this task.

  • Do not use indoor extension cords while performing outdoor work. Only use those rated for outside use.

  • Do not use electric equipment or yard tools if it is raining or the ground is wet. Electric equipment should be kept at least 10 feet from wet areas.

  • Ensure that your outdoor outlets are equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters. If they are not, have them installed or use a portable GFCI.

Indoor Safety

  • Don’t use electrical appliances around wet areas like bathtubs or sinks.

  • Dry your hands before using electrical appliances.

  • Keep electric heaters on level surfaces and 6-8 feet from furniture, curtains and drapes.


  • Use childproof covers for outlets.

  • Only insert electrical plugs into outlets.

  • Inspect electrical/extension cords for wear and tear.

  • Flickering lights, unusual smells and power interruptions could be signs that there is a problem – check all appliances and panels.

  • The third prong on extension cords is a safety feature designed to reduce the risk of electrocution or shock and should never be bent back or removed.

Home Generators

  • Improperly installed emergency power generators can expose your family to carbon monoxide poisoning and our crews to severe injury or death. For more information, contact MYEC at 406-342-5521.

  • Operate generators outdoors and away from open windows, vents or doors to eliminate exposure to hazardous fumes.

  • Store gasoline and other flammable liquids outside and away from heat and electrical sources.

  • Never refuel while the generator is running. To minimize the danger of fire, turn it off and let it cool at least 10 minutes.

  • Install carbon monoxide alarms with battery backup in the home, outside each sleeping area.


  • Although transformer boxes located in the yards of many homes are safe, they can be deadly if someone reaches inside. If you find a transformer box open or damaged, call MYEC immediately.

  • Never climb on or near transformer boxes.

  • When planting trees or shrubs, maintain 10 feet of clearance from the front of the transformer and three feet on all other sides to allow MYEC access. 

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The effects of carbon monoxide poisoning are difficult to detect. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and poisonous gas.

  • Have chimneys, heating vents and furnaces professionally cleaned and maintained.

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home.

Natural Gas Safety Tips

  • If you smell natural gas – leave your home immediately and call your gas provider from another location. Do not use your cell phone! Arcing or sparks could ignite gases.

  • Don’t store cleaning supplies, paint or chemicals near natural gas appliances, such as water heaters, dryers, stoves or furnaces.


  • Have a licensed, qualified heating technician maintain your furnace or heating system.

  • Change heating system filters to keep air passing through.

  • Replace batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.

Source: Safe Electricity

Caa b4

Underground Electrical Transformers

  • Underground transformers are not toys. Never allow your children to play on them.

  • If you notice an underground enclosure of any type being damaged, moved or leaking oil, call MYEC immediately at 406-342-5521.

  • Never open the lid or doors of any underground enclosure. If the lid is open, or the lock removed or damaged, call MYEC immediately at 406-342-5521.  

  • Electrical lines terminate in the transformers, so our linemen need clear access to perform maintenance. Never plant shrubs or flowers around the transformer.

  • If you have underground electrical lines feeding your home, call 811. Your underground lines will be marked for your protection against shock or even death.

Electrical Fire Prevention

  • Install ground fault circuit interrupters in areas near water, including bathrooms, kitchens, garages, basements and outdoors.

  • Check the electrical outlets in your home for loose-fitting plugs, broken wall plates and missing or frayed wiring.

  • Do not overload outlets with appliances and adapters.

  • Cords that are frayed, cracked or broken should be discarded. Avoid running cords under rugs or heavily traveled areas in the home.

  • Remember that extension cords are intended for temporary use and should not act as permanent power supplies.

  • Avoid using light bulbs that exceed the recommended wattage.

  • If an appliance appears to be damaged or broken, or has repeatedly blown a fuse, unplug it and have it repaired or replaced.

  • Light switches that feel hot or spark should be immediately turned off and inspected by a qualified electrician.

Source: Safe Electricity

Power Line Safety

  • Never climb into trees where power lines run through the limbs.

  • Stay clear of overhead and exposed underground electrical lines at all times. Never attempt to repair lines yourself.

  • Don't get near electrical lines when making home improvements such as roofing, painting or replacing siding. Contact us at 406-342-5521 if you need to perform any work around these lines.

  • Trees conduct electricity; avoid contact with them if they are making contact with any part of the electrical distribution system. Call LYREC if you have trees touching lines and equipment at your home.

  • Never attempt to remove kites, tree limbs or other objects from power lines. Contact us to ensure safe removal.